September 11, 2012 Newsletter: Cucumber–Alkalizing & Sugar Balancing
Cucumbers are cooling amongst their numerous benefits, so I’m providing you with some information about their nutritional benefits and uses in this issue and some cucumber based recipes.
I just want to give you a heads up that Costco is now featuring a new Vitamix machine, the 6300, in their stores during my demos. Now you can make a selection on the Vitamix and walk away because it’s pre-timed. There’s also a pulse button. It costs $499.00, which is about $125 more than the old 5200S. The Vitamix 6300 features 3 Pre-Programmed Settings, Variable Speed Control, Pulse Function, and a Safety On/Off switch. It includes the new Savor Recipes Book with hundreds of signature recipes, the Let’s Get Started! instructional DVD featuring Chef Steve Schimoler.
Cucumber–Alkalizing & Sugar Balancing
Cucumber is the most alkaline fruit/veggie. Two cucumbers blended in water and drank first think in the morning can sometimes stop yeast infections & UTIs that thrive in acidic terrain. It is known to create healthy, shinny skin because of its high silica. Similar to cinnamon, the Cucumber will improve your body’s response to insulin; this miracle food is of utmost importance for type 2 diabetics and people who get hypoglycemia. Actually, it’s important for everyone, because balancing blood sugar is essential in maintaining energy. The watery flesh of the cucumber is very high in silica, which is what’s needed; it has the mineral for combating Osteoporosis. People with any bone, joint & ligament issues should double up on cucumber due to the benefits of the high silica. Cucumber prevents water retention (edema).
Organic is a must. Conventional cucumbers have a wax applied to them–so even with a veggie wash it will not remove the wax. So spend the extra money and go organic. If that’s not possible, purchase the hydroponic English cucumber or maybe the Chinese cucumber. (Here’s a great article on whether to peel the cucumber or not: http://www.ehow.com/info_8689617_peel-not-peel-cucumbers.html)
Orange Juice Replacement (Alkalizing & Sugar Balancing)
2 cucumbers and 2 – 3 Cups of water; run on high and enjoy right away (it thickens if it sets out too long)
New CuMelon Drink (Nice refreshing and Alkalizing)
1/1 cucumber and seedless watermelon, a few ice cubes, blend on high and enjoy right away.
Chilled Cucumber Soup
1 small container of Greek style yogurt
1 small piece of onion
1 small piece of garlic
salt and pepper to taste
Blend on high till real smooth
then put in refrigerator for a few hours, it will be a cold soup to enjoy later
Afternoon “Pick me up Drink”
1 1/2 cups of water
2 oz. of almonds
1/2 or 1 cucumber
1 slice of pineapple or whole apple (less sugar)
handful or two of spinach
1 leaf of Kale
slice of ginger
small piece of lime
blend on high
*Wow!!! What a little gem the cucumber is, I will look at it differently now:
1. Cucumbers contain most of the vitamins you need every day, just one cucumber contains Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B3, Vitamin B5, Vitamin B6, Folic Acid, Vitamin C, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium and Zinc.
2. Feeling tired in the afternoon? Put down the caffeinated soda and pick up a cucumber. Cucumbers are a good source of B Vitamins and Carbohydrates that can provide that quick pick-me-up that can last for hours.
3. Tired of your bathroom mirror, fogging up after a shower? Try rubbing a cucumber slice along the mirror, it will eliminate the fog and provide a soothing, spa-like fragrance.
4. Are grubs and slugs ruining your planting beds? Place a few slices in a small pie tin and your garden will be free of pests all season long. The chemicals in the cucumber react with the aluminum to give off a scent undetectable to humans but drive garden pests crazy and make them flee the area.
5. Looking for a fast and easy way to remove cellulite before going out or to the pool? Try rubbing a slice or two of cucumbers along your problem area for a few minutes. The phytochemicals in the cucumber cause the collagen in your skin to tighten, firming up the outer layer and reducing the visibility of cellulite. Works great on wrinkles too!!!
6. Want to avoid a hangover or terrible headache? Eat a few cucumber slices before going to bed and wake up refreshed and headache free. Cucumbers contain enough sugar, B vitamins and electrolytes to replenish essential nutrients the body lost, keeping everything in equilibrium, avoiding both a hangover and headache!!
7. Looking to fight off that afternoon or evening snacking binge? Cucumbers have been used for centuries and often used by European trappers, traders and explores for quick meals to thwart off starvation.
8. Have an important meeting or job interview and you realize that you don’t have enough time to polish your shoes? Rub a freshly cut cucumber over the shoe, its chemicals will provide a quick and durable shine that not only looks great but also repels water.
9. Out of WD 40 and need to fix a squeaky hinge? Take a cucumber slice and rub it along the problematic hinge, and voila, the squeak is gone!
10. Stressed out and don’t have time for massage, facial or visit to the spa? Cut up an entire cucumber and place it in a boiling pot of water, the chemicals and nutrients from the cucumber will react with the boiling water and be released in the steam, creating a soothing, relaxing aroma that has been shown the reduce stress in new mothers and college students during final exams.
11. Just finish a business lunch and realize you don’t have gum or mints? Take a slice of cucumber and press it to the roof of your mouth with your tongue for 30 seconds to eliminate bad breath, the phytochemicals will kill the bacteria in your mouth responsible for causing bad breath.
12. Looking for a ‘green’ way to clean your faucets, sinks or stainless steel? Take a slice of cucumber and rub it on the surface you want to clean, not only will it remove years of tarnish and bring back the shine, but is won’t leave streaks and won’t harm your fingers or fingernails while you clean.
13. Using a pen and made a mistake? Take the outside of the cucumber and slowly use it to erase the pen writing, also works great on crayons and markers that the kids have used to decorate the walls!!
*Article reprinted from Taste of Home